Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sew Inspring

I guess I better start out by explaining my Friday afternoons. A few years ago, Shelli (the Stampin' Up CEO), talked about taking Friday afternoons to scrapbook in one of her little magazine blurbs. After reading what she wrote about it, I decided that I am so doing that! Since then (golly, it's been about 3 years now!), I have made Friday afternoons MY time. I don't schedule dentist appointments, visiting teaching, or anything else (unless it's an emergency or a super great family bonding experience) from 1-6 p.m. I even make freezer meals in advance so I don't have to cook dinner and have all the time possible until my hubby gets home.

These Friday afternoons are my creative time, to do just what I want to do. My kids can do whatever they want, the rule: Don't bug me, it's my time! I scrap or sew, working on stuff that I have been thinking about all week long. My Friday afternoons are essential to my life and well-being. I look forward to them all week long, and it (usually) motivates me to get done some of the have-tos during the week. It also refreshes me and helps me be a better mom. I highly recommend it to everyone!

This last Friday afternoon was so much fun. Jessica mentioned awhile back that she would love to get together for lunch, as her daughter wanted to play for a bit with my girls. So I finally got my schedule together and had them over last week. I decided though, that lunch was just not enough time to spend with fun friends, so I asked if Jessica wanted to bring her sewing machine and stay for the afternoon. Can I tell you? It was "sew much fun, and sew inspiring!"

So here's some stuff we did:

Jessica worked on her quilt top (isn't it lovely!) I'm guessing she used the Amy Butler Hexagon Quilt pattern, though you'll have to ask Jessica for sure :)

I really should have made her peak over the top of her quilt :)

I also worked on a quilt top (and got it done) but didn't take a picture, so you'll have to hope I get it done soon to show off the whole finished product!

This is me working though,
And this is what I made!


The Sweet Pea Pilot Cap! I love this little hat! Jessica also made some for a co-worker of her husband's who just had twins. The pattern was very easy to follow and these little hats whip up really quickly. And it's knit--this is a big step for me. I always thought I had to wait until I had a serger to successfully sew with knit! Thanks to Meg and this great pattern, I feel pretty confident!

I think David likes it too!


Jessica is so inspiring and it was fun to sew with someone! I haven't done that for years, I think the last time was about 6 years ago when Jenn came over to help me finish up a Relief Society Service project! As a self-taught sewer, it was fun to learn some new tricks.

What are you planning for your next Friday afternoon?

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Good idea to schedule in your creative time.

Natalie said...

I love that quilt pattern!!! Too cute...I've been feeling crafty lately. Do you know how to knit? I desperately want to make cute little socks and hats and stuff.

seedpod said...

It was fun! We need to make it a regular thing. It feels so good to hang out with friends :)